Sunday, April 5, 2009

You Review

People love a personal recommendation. In some cases they may even deem it more valuable than that of a professional. Additionally, consumers have become so inundated with various forms of advertising that they have become cynical and in some cases even immune to the message. But, these personal references are able to break through and often can be the deciding factor when customers take the plunge and make the purchase.

There is a sense of comfort and credibility, like a security blanket, that comes from a personal reference, knowing that someone has actually experienced a product or service. It takes the risk and major thought out of the decision making processes. With the progression of Web 2.0 and user generated media there is a growing number of sites whose sole mission is to serve has a nexus for opinion sharing. Sites like TripAdvisor and Yelp allow consumers to share and rate their experiences with various products.

I was reading a New York Times article on this very subject which posed the question How Many Reviewers Should Be in the Kitchen? Often times there are just too many cooks in the kitchen. Literally. It’s something about the kitchen that just draws people in now matter what, whether it’s a party or just a regular Thursday night dinner. People want to be where the action is, or the food. I know my mom always had trouble with this in our kitchen, people were always in the way, or as she’d say “in her zone.” So much so my uncle recently got her a roll of Caution tape to quarantine off her “zone” from any unwanted visitors. It’ll come in handy this coming weekend when she’s cooking for Easter.

I digress... So, in the virtual world of consumer reviews, should it be limited to a select few or should it be opened to as many posters as possible? I could see how it could be overwhelming with so many different voices offering forth advice on products. But, I think in this case the more the merrier. Ideally marketers hope these sites will be as enticing as the kitchen, bringing in a diverse array of people to provide a well rounded view or recommendation. Keep in mind; you should always take these types of recommendations with a grain of salt. Everyone has different standards so one person may give an outrageously negative hotel review because the bed was too hard or something of that nature, and allow that to set the entire tone for their stay and their online review (they are just dying to share with the world so that the same tragedy may never befall another innocent traveler!). That is one of the reasons I think it is best to have many reviewers.

Personally I am a big fan of these types of sites, Trip advisor in particular. I think it is helpful because these individuals tell about little details or oddities that a professional may not get in a traditional review. For example, a few years ago I was taking a trip to the Dominican Republic. Someone had written that the rooms at our hotel were particularly dim and suggested bringing a light bulb. May seem silly or insignificant, but I just think things like that are unique to this interactive, customer driven sharing atmosphere.

I also find these sites as an attractive means for customer recommendations because it is voluntary, it is different than some potential and current features on sites like Facebook, where it will publicize recent purchases by members hoping to inspire their friends to follow in suit.

5 comments:

  1. This is an interesting post and I think you make great points advocating for the more the merrier approach to online personal recommendations. I have to disagree to some extent though. While I also like the recommendation feature on Trip Advisor, I often find they are very scattered and if there is one that is really good and one that is bad, I'm back to square one because I don't know these people or which one would be more like me. Maybe it's just because I'm a business student, but I prefer aggregated, overall review analytics most times.

    Also, I have been working with an online social networking company that is looking into the possibility of segmenting reviews so that when you look at something you could break it up to see how "experts" review it, how your friends review it, and how the masses review it. This could add a whole new level to the personal review for the better if it works as planned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, I really enjoy the fact that customers have the option to review hotels, restaurants, or digital cameras. I think it keeps product/service vendors on their toes knowing a potentially harming review could be on its way! However, I sometimes find it hard to decide which reviews are based on freak experiences and would most likely not happen again. I also wonder if there are people who are much more pessimistic/cynical who prefer to write negative reviews - how could I know this? For this reason, after reading How many cooks..., I wrote about how much I appreciate the Yelp Elite Squad because they take away much of this confusion by pointing out who the best peer reviewers are. I've read some complaints about Yelp, so this system may not be perfect, but I definitely appreciate the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, consumers should have resources available to them so they can research products/services that they will consume their time and money. I actually just created a Yelp account. I will be moving to a new city shortly and I'm looking forward to using the site for recommendations about where to dine and shop. I also like the fact that you can question a bad review - let's face it, a negative experience for one doesn't mean a negative experience for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kate -

    Great argument for "the more the merrier" in terms of cooks in the kitchen (or reviewers on the site).

    Do you have any reactions or recommendations to examples where some business listings may have hundreds or even thousands of reviews? At some point, it becomes more effort to understand the whole picture than it's worth, no?

    Are there solutions that come to mind for how to deal with too much information, even if all of it is valuable and insightful? Is it possible that every aspect of the customer experience has been covered within the first 200 reviews and additional reviews on top of that are just another take on the same things, rehashed?

    Would love your thoughts and feedback!

    -Kevin L, Yelp DC CM

    ReplyDelete

Followers