Sunday, April 19, 2009

Dum or Dummur?

So, are the rapid advancements in the internet/Web 2.0 universe making us stupider or is it just giving us visibility into some “less gifted minds” (to put it nicely) that may have flown under the radar previously?

It’s a tough call; I can definitely see examples of the agreement that spelling skills are on the decline while the use of acronyms is on the up and up! I can also agree that sometimes sites are just flooded with opinions that users have to sort through with a fine tooth comb to actually get to the worthwhile stuff. This came up two weeks ago or so when we were discussing sites like Yelp and TripAdvisor. However, as I touched on then, I really do believe that the freedom to participate and share your opinion is the beauty of Web 2.0 and social networking. I suppose it is up to us as readers to consider the source when utilizing these resources. Additionally as Web 2.0 continues to evolve perhaps improvements can be made to ensure useful, qualified opinions can be heard. The responsibility is in our hands as users, participants and drivers of Web 2.0 and beyond.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you in that the freedom of participation truly open minds, not closes them. I would also argue that perhaps our metrics are off. Maybe what the next generations need to be prepared for life in the internet fast lane is different than Lessig needed or even we need. Take my 16 year old sister for example, she's trilingual--English, French, and IM/txt. If you ask her, being able to speak IM/txt is obvi totes impt!

    So, I don't think there should be a measure of dumbness put to the internet, maybe just a measure of change if we must.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FWIW, ISWYM & ITA! ROTM IMO! RNN...SCNR....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate

    Good points. I think though this new culture of ours is not making us dumber, but less focused. We have so many new stimulates in this world that we are constantly multi-tasking and not paying attention to the basics. How many ppl have more than one cell phones now? I know I have two smartphones alones. I feel like constantly checking them and seeing my emails. Also, there are so many different websites that have many different types of information and its constantly changing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Zaid in that the Internet isn't making us dumber, it's making us lazy. It's great to have information at the touch of your fingertips. We all use the social networking tools to get recommendations and keep in touch with old friends.

    My problem is that people are too reliant on the web. You mention a decline in spelling. I have definitely noticed that as well. I can't tell you how many times I've read papers for my younger cousins and found numerous spelling errors. It drives me nuts!

    ReplyDelete

Followers